Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Holiday Inspiration by Cheryl C. Malandrinos

Mary and I have been online chums for many years, so it’s always a pleasure when she hosts me at her blog. Considering this is the holiday season, I wanted to share how holidays inspire my writing.

Holiday gatherings were a big event in my childhood home. Long tables heaving with food. The air filled with scents of extraordinary spices. Multiple generations squeezed into one tiny home. The adults snoozing in front of the television after dinner. We all have our special holiday memories.

Christmas is my favorite holiday. I’ve long said that I am the biggest kid in the house this time of year. Decorations, trees, nativities, music, parties and cookie swaps…I want it all!


It surprised none of my friends that two out of my three books are set around Christmas. Whether it be a young shepherd (Little Shepherd) stepping out in faith to experience the miracle of Christmas or a boy helping a new friend (A Christmas Kindness), I pray my books capture the hope and joy of the season. They were also a great way to teach my kids about the spirit of Christmas.

Other holidays have also inspired my writing. My latest book, Macaroni and Cheese for Thanksgiving, is about a girl’s quick thinking when the dog steals the turkey off the table. Our children’s librarian said she was on the lookout for a different kind of Thanksgiving story, so I locked away my warm and fuzzy story brain and came up with this zany idea that includes a set of fighting twins, a frazzled mom, and a turkey-stealing dog, Mac & Cheese for Thanksgiving.

I’ll also be submitting to publishers another Thanksgiving story. It is about a turkey who tries to fool the farmer to avoid becoming Thanksgiving dinner. In my little box of stories is also one about a not so scary ghost and a little girl who tries to avoid accepting the valentine a classmate wants to give her. I haven’t plotted out the Easter story I want to write, but you should be warned it’s coming. Maybe I’ll cover all the major holidays and brand myself as the holiday children’s author. 

Inspiration comes from many different places. What inspires you most?

Cheryl C. Malandrinos is a freelance writer and editor. She is the author of Little Shepherd, A Christmas Kindness, Macaroni and Cheese for Thanksgiving. A blogger and book reviewer, she lives in Massachusetts with her husband and two daughters. She also has a son who is married.


Cheryl's Website and Children's Book Blog 



Social Media Links:

Twitter:
Facebook:
Goodreads:

1 comment:

Cheryl Malandrinos said...

Thanks for hosting me today, Mary. I'm always happy to be here.

Merry Christmas!